This was so moist! Here's the recipe:
- 3 oz (75 g) peeled and grated carrot (about 1 medium-sized carrot)
- 4 oz (110 g) plain wholewheat flour
- ½ level teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- ½ level teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 fl oz (75 ml) groundnut oil
- 3 oz (75 g) soft brown sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 oz (50 g) chopped walnuts
For the topping:
- 2 oz (50 g) full-fat soft cream cheese
- 1 oz (25 g) unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 1 oz (25 g) icing sugar, sieved
- 8 walnut pieces (optional)
1) Preheat the oven to gas mark 2, 300°F (150°C).
2) Prepare the loaf tin either by greasing the inside and then putting baking paper inside, or by using a cake liner.
3) Grate the carrot straight into a mixing bowl, then sift in the dry ingredients to give them a good airing and tip any grains left behind in the sieve into the bowl too. Add all the rest of the cake ingredients and stir well until everything is mixed (it'll look quite sticky, more like a cookie mixture because of the oil but go with it).
4) Bake in the centre of the oven for an hour or until cooked, it'll end up filling about 2/3 of the height of the tin. Leave to cool completely.
5) To make the topping, combine the ingredients in a small bowl and beat until smooth. Spread it thickly on the top of the cake and decorate it with walnut halves.
6) CHOW DOWN.